Thursday, August 19, 2010

Try

As a martial instructor, I don't want students who try. Trying doesn't show commitment. When you try, you are telling yourself that you may not be able to do it so you do not fully commit yourself and you hold something back in case of failure.

When I know that a student is capable of doing something, I expect the student to do it, and I expect the student to believe he or she can do it. The student may do it, or fail to do it. If the student does it, he or she will know that commitment leads to success and will feel the satisfaction of success. If the student fails to do it, it means the student either did not fully commit to doing it, or I was wrong in thinking the student could do it. If the student failed to commit, the student needs to work harder and gain more confidence so he or she will do it next time. If I was wrong in thinking the student could do it, then I will have to work harder to ensure the student does do it next time.

I don't want a surgeon who says he or she will try to remove all the tumor, I want a surgeon who says he or she will remove all the tumor. A surgeon who tries doesn't have confidence in his or her abilities, so he or she accepts failure as a possible outcome.

Although failure is a possible outcome, it is not an option.

Check out TKDTutor.com for information about the martial arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment